- On 22 June 2010
- In Blog
Africa presents a vast untamed wilderness, teaming with wildlife, adventure and rugged beauty. Here the frontiers of modern living are disbanded in favor of the wild, where discovery punctuates the landscape and possibilities are largely governed by your capacity for exploration.
4×4 off road safaris in Africa offer the intrepid explorer a unique opportunity to literally follow their heart across all manner of terrain, to test their mettle and discover the essence of this magical continent. Africa welcomes curious individuals, wanting to unveil new experiences and discover the calm perspective adventure travel by 4×4 hire unlocks. No where else has the capacity for such expansive expedition and travel.
Drive South Africa caters to local and foreign African adventure travel enthusiasts. We specialize in 4×4 hire, 4×4 off road equipment and self-drive wildlife safaris.
We have 4×4 car hire hubs in select locations throughout Southern Africa
and by arrangement we cater for 4wd car hire in the following locations
Our fleet of 4×4 off road rental cars comprise of the following vehicles:
- Landrover Defender
- Landrover Discovery
- Nissan Single Cab
- Nissan Single Cab 4×4 Trax Camper
- Nissan King Cab Navara
- Nissan Double Cab
- Toyota Hilux
- Toyota Fortuner
- Toyota Landcruiser
Choosing your 4×4
- When choosing a 4×4 vehicle the more you know about the terrain you’ll be traversing the more we can tailor your 4wd rental to your needs.
- Conduct some independent research into the advantages and disadvantages of the different 4×4 vehicles available for your peace of mind.
- 4×2 wheel-drive with a diff-lock is not the same as a 4×4 vehicle. 4×4 provides you with all round off road 4wd, while 4×2 with diff-lock only really assists you when weight or traction is removed from one of the wheels.
- 4×4 without low range is not in the same league as 4×4 with low range. Low range provides considerably more versatility for your 4×4 hire car.
- Make sure you have a decent clearance height on your 4×4 rental.
- Do some research into what diff-lock and traction control entail and how they assist off road driving.
- Beware of low profile tyres when choosing a 4×4, these are difficult to replace in remote areas and prone to damage by rocks. A low profile tyre doesn’t provide the advantages of pressure reduction for floatation or off road traction.
- Knowing your capabilities behind the wheel as well as under the bonnet, or hood, is an important part of selecting your 4wd hire car. If you are mechanically acquainted with motor vehicles, serviceability is an important aspect of your 4×4 hire, if not, then reliability is paramount.
- Petrol and diesel 4×4 have their pros and cons, and performance differs across manufacturers as well as across 4×4 models. Knowing your itinerary and potential terrain will assist you when deciding what type of engine you select.
- 4×4 club and 4×4 forum websites can provide impartial and insightful advice for 4×4 trails, wildlife tours, off road equipment, Africa trips and Big 5 safaris.
Drive South Africa 4×4 Hire – Camping Equipped Vehicles.
We offer fully equipped 4 x 4 hire, or 4 x 4 rental without camping/safari equipment.
Our detail of safari and camping equipment is a comprehensive gear list designed to cover all your basic requirements for your 4×4 excursions including wildlife safaris, camping safaris, adventure safaris, Kruger Park safaris and general 4×4 safaris.
Drive South Africa Camping Equipment:
- Aluminium Roof rack
- Jerrycan holder
- Gas cylinder holder
- Eezi Awn rooftop tent/s
- Ground tents if specified
- Eezi Awning (optional, at additional cost)
- 60L Water-tank (full)
- 2 Ratchet tie downs
- Fold up table
- Camp chairs
- Battery powered lamp
- Gas cylinder (full) and cooker top
- First aid kit
- Camp shower and collapsible basin
- Bedding – sleeping bag and pillows
- Mobile toilet (on request)
- 40L Fridge/Freezer
- Fold up shower or toilet enclosure (on request)
- Portable wash-up basin
- Full kitchen
Drive South Africa Safari Equipment
- Long range fuel tank (150 liter) (full on handover)
- Rear diff lock/center diff lock
- Dual battery system
- Tow strap
- Jumper cables
- Rubber sand ladders
- Puncture repair kit
- Basic tool kit
- Highlift jack/ Air jack
- Additional spare tyre (2nd spare)
- Steel canopy where necessary, side and rear opening
- Winch (on request only, additional cost)
- GPS (on request only, additional cost)
- Air compressor and tyre pressure gauge
- Two way radios (Optional – additional cost)
- Satellite phone (Optional – additional cost)
- Our 4×4 rental cars include range of insurance options including standard, medium and super cover insurance, this extends to cover fully equipped 4wd hire when applicable.
- Our 4×4 hire cars are sourced through a selection of trusted affiliates operating in South Africa, Namibia and Botswana, ensuring you a wide range of vehicles from a reputable supplier.
- Drive South Africa’s online 4×4 car hire system allows you to compare 4×4 rental prices and obtain quotes on vehicles ensuring you get the best value and the cheapest 4wd rental prices.
- We look forward to supplying you with the means to navigate your 4×4 off road adventure through Africa.