- On 25 November 2010
- In Blog
Cape Town Adderley Street Festive Lights
From the 28th of November, Cape Town will be lighting up Adderly Street to celebrate the Festive Season. The official switching on of the lights on Adderley Street in Cape Town’s largest public open-air event.
For this event, several streets will be temporarily closed to prepare for the event, where attendance can exceed 100 000 people.
From 25 November at 9 am until 29 November at 7 pm the following streets will be closed to traffic:
- The outside lane of Adderley Street, near the Cape Town station, from Fountain Circle to Strand Street.
- The outbound lane of Strand Street near the station and the lanes from Strand Street to Buitenkant Street.
Parking is not allowed in Adderley Street from 7 am to midnight on Sunday the 28th of November and the following roads are affected on this date:
- Both lanes of Adderley Street and Heerengracht will be closed between Bureau Street and Hertzog Boulevard from 10 am to midnight.
- All the side streets leading to Adderley Street.
There are special parking areas will be set up at the Grand Parade and in Queen Victoria and Wale Streets.
The festivities begin on Sunday with a concert playing from 4 pm to 8 pm, when Executive Mayor Dan Plato will officially switch on the festive lights.
For the decorations, more than five kilometres of rope lighting is used, plus the six meters high Christmas tree decoration at the Company Gardens entrance. During these days medical service, information/lost and found facilities are staged up near the Cape Town station. Temporary toilet facilities are available at designated locations.
Go out and be part of the lights to make the beginning of the Festive Season.
- Pieter Cronjé, Director: Communication, City of Cape Town, Tel: 021 400 4592 or Cell: 082 465 4965
- Leonora da Souza-Zilwa, Manager: Events, City of Cape Town, Cell: 082 658 3279
- Principal Inspector Merle Lourens, Media Spokesperson Cape Town Traffic Services, Tel: 021 812 4570 or Cell: 072 200 1512
- Frikkie Odendaal, Afrikom Strategic Communications, Tel: 021 423 7263 or Cell: 082 577 0409
If you need to hire a specific vehicle during your trip to Cape Town then here are some options below;