- On May 30 2013
- In Blog
eLandy Electric Land Rover Launched 2013
The first fully electric Land Rover has been developed and goes by the name of ‘eLandy’ – an exciting time for eco-conscious travellers.
This eco-friendly four-wheel-drive vehicle has been crafted with the intention of being used for safari game drives.
Above: A video of Land Rover’s electric safari game drive vehicle – eLandy
Electric Land Rover eLandy is born
The eLandy Land Rover has come into being thanks to a collaborative effort from Dutch technology firm Emke Engineering, Kafue National Park’s Mukambi Safari Lodge, and Greensafaris (a subsidiary of eVentures).
eLandy – Land Rover’s solar-powered vehicle
Charged using solar-energy, this fully electric Land Rover doesn’t have a noisy diesel engine, giving guests the opportunity to experience quiet, emission-free game drives. The eLandy is equipped with full off-road capabilities and reaches a top speed of 43 mph (70 km/h). This nine passenger carrier has a range of 56 miles (90 km) – not bad for an electric 4×4.
The responsible eLandy trend
Ellena van Tonder, Drive South Africa Sales Manager, says “True innovation – creating an eco-friendly vehicle that plays its part in responsible tourism. I hope the trend of using an electric safari vehicle catches on in South African lodges.”
Above: Land Rover’s electric eLandy
- Fully electric Land Rover Defender One Ten to be used as Game Drive vehicle
- The vehicle is right-hand drive and can carry two drivers and maximal nine passengers
- Complete off-road capabilities
- Roughly 90% less maintenance than a gas powered car
Electronic Land Rover Technology
- AC induction water cooled motor
- Nominal power 50 kW, max. 70k W
- Nominal torque 200 Nm, max. 300 Nm
- 35 kWh High-density lithium-ion Iron phosphate battery pack
- 3000 cycles at 80% discharge
- Battery life of up to 200.000 km
- Features quick charge option from a solar panel system
Land Rover eLandy’s Performance
- Maximal speed 80 km/h
- Average speed 30 km/h
- Minimal range 90 km
- Maximal charging time 5 hours
- Vehicle efficiency 350 Wh/km
- Regenerative braking
A round of applause please for eLandy the Electric Land Rover with a green conscience.