Start your Tanzania Self Drive 4×4 Holiday
Experience an exhilarating self-drive safari on the plains of the Serengeti.
Our Recommended Vehicles for Tanzania
Toyota Hilux 2.4TD 4×4 Camp
A reliable and capable 4×4 vehicle that offers excellent fuel consumption and good off road performance. Good ride height ideal for game viewing. Equiiped with a roof top tent.
Toyota Landcruiser 79 S/W 4×4 Camp
The Toyota Landcruiser is a very robust, reliable and exceptionally capable 4WD vehicle. A highly respected safari vehicle in Africa, with no electronics and ideal for remote area travel.
Nissan Double Cab 4×4 MDE
This is one of Africas most reliable pickup trucks, with the ruggedness to take on any terrain.
Perfect for a self-drive safari. This camping equipped double cab pickup can seat up to 5 adult passengers. Its perfect for exploring the ‘world in one country’ that is South Africa.
Ford Ranger D/Cab 4×4 Bushcamper
Superbly compact 4×4 camper suitable for up to 4 adults. Fully equipped with camping equipment. This is the vehicle you want on your African 4×4 adventure.
Tanzania is a country in East Africa known for its abundant wildlife, beautiful tropical beaches, lush forests and rich culture. Africa’s great migration can be tracked on the plains of the Serengeti and tropical paradise can be experienced on the spectacular Zanzibar Island.
Tanzania Official Languages
The national language is Swahili
The official currency of Tanzania is the Tanzanian shilling
Where to go in Tanzania
- The Serengeti National Park – A world heritage site. World renowned safari destination for its massive annual wildebeest, zebra and gazelle migration.
- Ngorongoro Crater – A large volcanic caldera measuring 610 meters deep covering an area of 260 square kilometers. The big 5 can be spotted here.
- Zanzibar – Picturesque tropical beaches, cultural attracts Stone Town and water sports.
- Tarangire National Park – Boasting a variety of wildlife and diverse landscapes. Named after the Tarangire River, large herds of zebra, wildebeest and cape buffalo can be spotted in this area.
- Lake Manyara National Park – A park in the Arusha and Manyara region with barren lands, forest and a salt lake. A bird watchers paradise with 400 species of birds inhabiting this area.
- Mount Meru – The fifth highest mountain in Africa and second highest in tanzaniaat 4566 meters. Great for hiking and surrounded by savanna which hosts diverse wildlife.
- Dar es Salaam – Tanzanias main port city. The city has African, Arabic and indian influences.
- Arusha – The city is the gateway to the Serengeti, Lake Manyara, Ngorongoro Crater and other top Tanzanian attractions. located below Mount Meru.
- Lake Tanganyika – The worlds second oldest freshwater lake. Home to Nile crocodiles and over 80 non-cicchild fish.
When to Visit
- The Serengeti – The best time to visit Tanzania for Game viewing is during the dry season from June to October.
- Zanzibar – The cool dry months of between June and October or the hot dry months of December to february depending on your personal preferences.
Tanzania 4×4 Hire
Challenging roads, remote destinations, tropical beaches, exotic spice islands and more await, and to help you navigate those off the beaten path areas, Drive South Africa brings you 4×4 rental in Tanzania for an unbeatable self-drive holiday in Africa that allows you to get around with ease.
Why Rent a 4×4 from Drive South Africa
Drive South Africa offers a specialised Tanzania 4×4 rental service. We’ve been equipping adventurers with all terrain (ATV) and recreational vehicles since 2002. We provide a comprehensive 4wd rental service, hands on off-road experience, indepth industry knowledge and our team of trained consultants are on hand to answer any questions and assist with all aspects of a Tanzania self-drive experience.