What happens when I want to cross a border into another country from SA?

So you’ve arrived in South Africa, picked up your vehicle and now you’re ready to hit the road. Before you drive off, make sure your paperwork is in order. If you’re crossing any borders, you’ll need a Letter of Authority from your rental company and a copy of the vehicle’s registration papers. Depending where you’re going you may also have to display reflective stickers on your vehicle, and you’ll likely need an International Driving Permit along with your driver’s license. Your rental company should provide all relevant details before departure.

Border crossing in South Africa

Crossing by road into Zimbabwe can take time and patience, but other land borders are more efficient and usually very friendly. If you have your vehicle paperwork, a few hundred rand for road taxes, and assuming you’re eligible for a visa, you’ll have no trouble.

For the best experience, pick small border posts, furthest from the national roads. They’re usually very quiet and you’ll probably be through in minutes. Note that if you’re crossing into Botswana there are restrictions on importing certain fruit and fresh meat. These change from time to time, and you’ll need to check current regulations before you travel.