Johannesburg and the highveld are warm and mild by day, cool at night and receives occasional rainfall often in the late afternoon. Cape Town and the Western Cape starts cooling down with regular windy spells, cooler evenings and crisp early mornings. The Kruger Park and surrounds is still hot during the day, cooling down at night and receives occasional rainfall.
- March is a good time for beach holidays anywhere along the South African coast, with different regions offering varied climates to attract tourists looking for a variety of experiences. Durban and the east coast is still warm and humid, although the peak tourist season has quietened down and costs are relatively low, making it a good option.
- Game viewing in the Kruger Park and other reserves starts picking up as the rainfall abates and the lush summer vegetation clears to make spotting wildlife easier. This is an excellent period for birdwatching as a profusion of birds come into breeding plumage and are supplement by a variety of intra-African and Palaearctic migrants.
- March lies towards the end of the nesting season for loggerhead and leatherback turtles along the beaches of iSimangaliso, and turtle-tracking tours can be undertaken in the evening.
- Accommodation in the main tourist areas is usually relatively quiet in March.
When travelling through South Africa, you’ll need a reliable vehicle. Most travellers opt for car hire South Africa for reliable and efficient transport.
Events in South in March
The Cape Town Cycle Tour | Cape Town | 8 March
The Cape Town stadium will once again become the focal point for local and international cyclist. This year the 42nd Cape Town Cycle Tour race takes place on the 8th of March 2020 and kicks off in the shadow of the 7th Wonder of the World, Table Mountain. The cyclist will then make their way through Constantia, Glencairn, Noordhoek, Kalk Bay, Simonstown and more. Entry fee starts at 470.
Klein Karoo National Arts Festival (KKNK) | Oudtshoorn | 24-29 March
Once a year, theatre students, artist, creatives and theatre lovers, gather in the charming Klein Karoo for a fun-filled celebration of music, arts and culture. Book your accommodation and rent a car as early as possible to avoid disappointments.
Cape Town Internation Jazz Festival | Cape Town | 27-28 March
The Cape Town International Jazz Fest is back at the Convention Centre this year. There will also be a free concert in Green Markert Square. This year’s line-up includes Abdullah Ibrahim, Lira, Ndlovu Youth Choir, Lady Zamar and many other internationally acclaimed artists. Most travellers opt for booking a car rental to accommodate their travel to the Jazz Fest.
Here are interesting things to do around South Africa:
- Things to do In Cape Town
- Things to do in Johannesburg
- Things to do in Durban
- Romantic things to do in South Africa