Why Drive South Africa?
Quick, easy and efficient – compare & save from Southern Africa's top rental brands.
Wherever you're going, we can help.
348 Branches in 5 Countries.
4×4 rental Southern Africa
Africa presents a vast untamed wilderness, teaming with wildlife, adventure and rugged beauty. Here the frontiers of modern living are disbanded in favor of the wild, where discovery punctuates the landscape and possibilities are largely governed by your capacity for exploration and a 4×4 rental Southern Africa is the way to see it.
4×4 rental Southern Africa offers the intrepid explorer a unique opportunity to literally follow their heart across all manner of terrain, to test their mettle and discover the essence of this magical continent. Southern Africa welcomes curious individuals wanting to unveil new experiences and discover the calm perspective adventure travel by 4×4 rental cars unlocks. No where else has the capacity for such expansive expedition and travel. Off road vehicle rental has never been this easy.
Drive South Africa caters to local and foreign African adventure travel enthusiasts. We specialize in off road vehicle rental, 4×4 off road equipment and self-drive wildlife safaris.
We have 4×4 car rental hubs in select locations throughout Southern Africa:
- 4×4 Botswana
- 4×4 Namibia
- 4×4 South Africa
and by arrangement we cater for 4wd car rental in the following locations:
- 4×4 Lesotho
- 4×4 Swaziland
Our fleet of 4×4 off road rental cars comprise of the following vehicles:
- Landrover Defender
- Landrover Discovery
- Nissan Single Cab
- Nissan Single Cab 4×4 Trax Camper
- Nissan King Cab Navara
- Nissan Double Cab
- Toyota Hilux
- Toyota Fortuner
- Toyota Landcruiser
Choosing to rent a 4×4
- When choosing a 4×4 vehicle the more you know about the terrain you’ll be traversing the more we can tailor your 4wd rental to your needs.
- Conduct some independent research into the advantages and disadvantages of the different 4×4 vehicles available for your peace of mind.
- 4×2 wheel drive with a diff-lock is not the same as a 4×4 vehicle. 4×4 rental Southern Africa provides you with all round off road 4wd, while 4×2 with diff-lock only really assists you when weight or traction is removed from one of the wheels.
- Do some research into what diff-lock and traction control entail and how they assist off road driving.
- 4×4 without low range is not in the same league as 4×4 with low range. Low range provides considerably more versatility for your 4×4 rental car.
- Make sure you have a decent clearance height on your 4×4 rental.
- Beware of low profile tyres when choosing a 4×4 rental Southern Africa, these are difficult to replace in remote areas and prone to damage by rocks. A low profile tyre doesn’t provide the advantages of pressure reduction for floatation or off road traction.
- Knowing your capabilities behind the wheel as well as under the bonnet, or hood, is an important part of selecting your 4wd rental car. If you’re mechanically acquainted with motor vehicles, serviceability is an important aspect of your 4×4 rental, if not, then reliability is paramount.
- Petrol and diesel 4×4 rental have their pros and cons, and performance differs across manufacturers as well as across 4×4 models. Knowing your itinerary and potential terrain will assist you when deciding what type of engine you select.
- 4×4 club and 4×4 forum websites can provide impartial and insightful advice for 4×4 trails, wildlife tours, off road equipment, Africa trips and Big 5 safaris.
Drive South Africa 4×4 rental camping equipped vehicles
We offer fully equipped vehicles for 4×4 rental Southern Africa may be rented with or without camping and safari equipment:
Drive South Africa Camping Equipment
- Aluminium Roof rack
- Jerrycan holder
- Gas cylinder holder
- Eezi Awn rooftop tent/s
- Ground tents if specified
- Eezi Awning (optional, at additional cost)
- 60L Water-tank (full)
- 2 Ratchet tie downs
- Fold up table
- Camp chairs
- Battery powered lamp
- Gas cylinder (full) and cooker top
- First aid kit
- Camp shower and collapsible basin
- Bedding – sleeping bag and pillows
- Mobile toilet (on request)
- 40L Fridge/Freezer
- Fold up shower or toilet enclosure (on request)
- Portable wash-up basin
- Full kitchen – See Gomo Kitchen below
Drive South Africa Safari Equipment
- Long range fuel tank (150 liter) (full on handover)
- Rear diff lock/center diff lock
- Dual battery system
- Tow strap
- Jumper cables
- Rubber sand ladders
- Puncture repair kit
- Basic tool kit
- Highlift jack/ Air jack
- Additional spare tyre (2nd spare)
- Steel canopy where necessary, side and rear opening*
- Winch (on request only, additional cost)
- GPS (on request only, additional cost)
- Air compressor and tyre pressure gauge
- Two way radios (Optional – additional cost)
- Satellite phone (Optional – additional cost)
Off road vehicle rental in Africa
Our 4×4 rental cars include a range of insurance options including standard, medium and super cover insurance, this extends to cover fully equipped 4wd rental when applicable.
Our vehicles for 4×4 rental Southern Africa are sourced through a selection of trusted affiliates operating in South Africa, Namibia and Botswana — ensuring you a wide range of vehicles from a reputable supplier.
Other Southern Africa rental options
Standard cars, luxury cars, 4x4s and campers. Find just about any rental car in Southern Africa.
Drive in comfort and style in any of the luxury cars offered in Southern Africa. Convertibles, luxury sedans, sports cars, luxury SUVs and 4x4s.
The largest range of RVs and motorhomes to choose from in Southern Africa. Find the right vehicle for your next RV African adventure.
Find the best deal in each car group from Southern Africa's top car hire companies. Unlimited mileage options for your next road trip holiday.
Why Drive South Africa?
Browse through our selection of rental vehicles to suit your every need. We offer budget car rental to luxury car rental, for short term or extended long-term car rental in Southern Africa.