Start your Southern Africa Self Drive 4x4 Vacation
Southern Africa is like nothing you have ever seen before. The perfect combination between amazing wildlife and pure peace and quiet.
Our Recommended 4x4 Vehicles for Southern Africa
Toyota Hilux 2.4TD 4x4 Camp
A reliable and capable 4x4 vehicle that offers excellent fuel consumption and good off road performance. Good ride height ideal for game viewing. Equiiped with a roof top tent.
Toyota Landcruiser 79 S/W 4x4 Camp
The Toyota Landcruiser is a very robust, reliable and exceptionally capable 4WD vehicle. A highly respected safari vehicle in Africa, with no electronics and ideal for remote area travel.
Nissan Double Cab 4x4 MDE
This is one of Africas most reliable pickup trucks, with the ruggedness to take on any terrain.
Perfect for a self-drive safari. This camping equipped double cab pickup can seat up to 5 adult passengers. Its perfect for exploring the ‘world in one country’ that is South Africa.
Ford Ranger D/Cab 4x4 Bushcamper
Superbly compact 4x4 camper suitable for up to 4 adults. Fully equipped with camping equipment. This is the vehicle you want on your African 4x4 adventure.
Africa presents a vast untamed wilderness, teeming with wildlife, adventure and rugged beauty. Here the frontiers of modern living are disbanded in favour of the wild, where discovery punctuates the landscape and possibilities are largely governed by your capacity for exploration.
4x4 hire Southern Africa offers the intrepid explorer a unique opportunity to literally follow their heart across all manner of terrain, to test their mettle and discover the essence of this magical continent. Southern Africa welcomes curious individuals wanting to unveil new experiences and discover the calm perspective adventure travel by 4x4 hire cars.
Drive South Africa caters to local and foreign African adventure travel enthusiasts. We specialize in off road vehicle hire, 4x4 off road equipment and self-drive wildlife safaris.
Where To Stay Southern Africa
The top destinations in Botswana are the Okavango Delta, Chobe National Park and Gaborone.
We have 4x4 car rental hubs in select locations throughout Southern Africa:
- 4x4 Namibia
and by arrangement we cater for 4wd car rental in the following locations:
- 4x4 Lesotho
Our fleet of 4x4 off road rental cars comprise of the following vehicles:
- Landrover Discovery
- Nissan Single Cab
- Nissan Single Cab 4x4 Trax Camper
- Nissan King Cab Navara
- Nissan Double Cab
- Toyota Hilux
- Toyota Fortuner
- Toyota Landcruiser
What to Consider When Choosing a 4x4 to Rent:
- The more you know about the terrain you’ll be traversing the more we can tailor your 4wd rental to your needs.
- Conduct some independent research into the advantages and disadvantages of the different 4x4 vehicles.
- 4x4 rental Southern Africa provides you with all round off road 4wd, while 4×2 with diff-lock only really assists you when weight or traction is removed from one of the wheels.
- Do some research into what diff-lock and traction control entail and how they assist off road driving.
- 4x4 without low range is not in the same league as 4x4 with low range. Low range provides considerably more versatility for your 4x4 hire car.
- Make sure you have a decent clearance height on your 4x4 rental.
- Beware of low profile tyres when choosing a 4x4 hire, these are difficult to replace in remote areas and prone to damage by rocks.
- Knowing your capabilities behind the wheel as well as under the bonnet, is an important part of selecting your vehicle.
- Petrol and diesel 4x4 hire have their pros and cons, and performance differs across manufacturers as well as across 4x4 models. Knowing your itinerary and potential terrain will assist you when deciding what type of engine you select.
- 4x4 club and 4x4 forum websites can provide important and insightful advice for 4x4 trails, wildlife tours, off road equipment.
- Aluminium Roof rack
- Jerrycan holder
- Gas cylinder holder
- Eezi Awn rooftop tent/s
- Ground tents if specified
- Eezi Awning (optional, at additional cost)
- 60L Water-tank (full)
- 2 Ratchet tie downs
- Fold up table
- Camp chairs
- Battery powered lamp
- Gas cylinder (full) and cooker top
- First aid kit
- Camp shower and collapsible basin
- Bedding – sleeping bag and pillows
- Mobile toilet (on request)
- 40L Fridge/Freezer
- Fold up shower or toilet enclosure (on request)
- Portable wash-up basin
- Full kitchen – See Gomo Kitchen below
- Long range fuel tank (150 liter) (full on handover)
- Rear diff lock/center diff lock
- Dual battery system
- Tow strap
- Jumper cables
- Rubber sand ladders
- Puncture repair kit
- Basic tool kit
- Highlift jack/ Air jack
- Additional spare tyre (2nd spare)
- Steel canopy where necessary, side and rear opening*
- Winch (on request only, additional cost)
- GPS (on request only, additional cost)
- Air compressor and tyre pressure gauge
- Two way radios (Optional – additional cost)
- Satellite phone (Optional – additional cost)
Our 4x4 rental vehicles include a range of insurance options including standard, medium and super cover, this extends to cover fully equipped 4wd hire when applicable.
Our vehicles for 4x4 rental in Southern Africa are sourced through a selection of trusted affiliates operating in South Africa, Namibia and Botswana.