Start your Southern Africa Self Drive 4×4 Vacation
Southern Africa is like nothing you have ever seen before. The perfect combination between amazing wildlife and pure peace and quiet.
Our Recommended 4×4 Vehicles for Southern Africa
Toyota Hilux 2.4TD 4×4 Camp
A reliable and capable 4×4 vehicle that offers excellent fuel consumption and good off road performance. Good ride height ideal for game viewing. Equiiped with a roof top tent.
Toyota Landcruiser 79 S/W 4×4 Camp
The Toyota Landcruiser is a very robust, reliable and exceptionally capable 4WD vehicle. A highly respected safari vehicle in Africa, with no electronics and ideal for remote area travel.
Nissan Double Cab 4×4 MDE
This is one of Africas most reliable pickup trucks, with the ruggedness to take on any terrain.
Perfect for a self-drive safari. This camping equipped double cab pickup can seat up to 5 adult passengers. Its perfect for exploring the ‘world in one country’ that is South Africa.
Ford Ranger D/Cab 4×4 Bushcamper
Superbly compact 4×4 camper suitable for up to 4 adults. Fully equipped with camping equipment. This is the vehicle you want on your African 4×4 adventure.
Africa presents a vast untamed wilderness, teeming with wildlife, adventure and rugged beauty. Here the frontiers of modern living are disbanded in favour of the wild, where discovery punctuates the landscape and possibilities are largely governed by your capacity for exploration.
4×4 hire Southern Africa offers the intrepid explorer a unique opportunity to literally follow their heart across all manner of terrain, to test their mettle and discover the essence of this magical continent. Southern Africa welcomes curious individuals wanting to unveil new experiences and discover the calm perspective adventure travel by 4×4 hire cars.
Drive South Africa caters to local and foreign African adventure travel enthusiasts. We specialize in off road vehicle hire, 4×4 off road equipment and self-drive wildlife safaris.
Where To Stay Southern Africa
The top destinations in Botswana are the Okavango Delta, Chobe National Park and Gaborone.
We have 4×4 car rental hubs in select locations throughout Southern Africa:
- 4×4 Namibia
and by arrangement we cater for 4wd car rental in the following locations:
- 4×4 Lesotho
Our fleet of 4×4 off road rental cars comprise of the following vehicles:
- Landrover Discovery
- Nissan Single Cab
- Nissan Single Cab 4×4 Trax Camper
- Nissan King Cab Navara
- Nissan Double Cab
- Toyota Hilux
- Toyota Fortuner
- Toyota Landcruiser
What to Consider When Choosing a 4×4 to Rent:
- The more you know about the terrain you’ll be traversing the more we can tailor your 4wd rental to your needs.
- Conduct some independent research into the advantages and disadvantages of the different 4×4 vehicles.
- 4×4 rental Southern Africa provides you with all round off road 4wd, while 4×2 with diff-lock only really assists you when weight or traction is removed from one of the wheels.
- Do some research into what diff-lock and traction control entail and how they assist off road driving.
- 4×4 without low range is not in the same league as 4×4 with low range. Low range provides considerably more versatility for your 4×4 hire car.
- Make sure you have a decent clearance height on your 4×4 rental.
- Beware of low profile tyres when choosing a 4×4 hire, these are difficult to replace in remote areas and prone to damage by rocks.
- Knowing your capabilities behind the wheel as well as under the bonnet, is an important part of selecting your vehicle.
- Petrol and diesel 4×4 hire have their pros and cons, and performance differs across manufacturers as well as across 4×4 models. Knowing your itinerary and potential terrain will assist you when deciding what type of engine you select.
- 4×4 club and 4×4 forum websites can provide important and insightful advice for 4×4 trails, wildlife tours, off road equipment.
- Aluminium Roof rack
- Jerrycan holder
- Gas cylinder holder
- Eezi Awn rooftop tent/s
- Ground tents if specified
- Eezi Awning (optional, at additional cost)
- 60L Water-tank (full)
- 2 Ratchet tie downs
- Fold up table
- Camp chairs
- Battery powered lamp
- Gas cylinder (full) and cooker top
- First aid kit
- Camp shower and collapsible basin
- Bedding – sleeping bag and pillows
- Mobile toilet (on request)
- 40L Fridge/Freezer
- Fold up shower or toilet enclosure (on request)
- Portable wash-up basin
- Full kitchen – See Gomo Kitchen below
- Long range fuel tank (150 liter) (full on handover)
- Rear diff lock/center diff lock
- Dual battery system
- Tow strap
- Jumper cables
- Rubber sand ladders
- Puncture repair kit
- Basic tool kit
- Highlift jack/ Air jack
- Additional spare tyre (2nd spare)
- Steel canopy where necessary, side and rear opening*
- Winch (on request only, additional cost)
- GPS (on request only, additional cost)
- Air compressor and tyre pressure gauge
- Two way radios (Optional – additional cost)
- Satellite phone (Optional – additional cost)
Our 4×4 rental vehicles include a range of insurance options including standard, medium and super cover, this extends to cover fully equipped 4wd hire when applicable.
Our vehicles for 4×4 rental in Southern Africa are sourced through a selection of trusted affiliates operating in South Africa, Namibia and Botswana.