Africa presents a vast, untamed wilderness, teeming with wildlife, adventure and rugged beauty. Here the frontiers of modern living are disbanded in favour of the wild, where discovery punctuates the landscape and possibilities are largely governed by your capacity for exploration.
4x4 hire Southern Africa offers the intrepid explorer a unique opportunity to literally follow their heart across all manner of terrain, to test their mettle and discover the essence of this magical continent. Southern Africa welcomes curious individuals wanting to unveil new experiences and discover the calm perspective of adventure travel by 4x4.
Drive South Africa caters to local and foreign African adventure travel enthusiasts. We specialize in off-road vehicle hire, 4x4 off-road equipment and self-drive wildlife safaris.
Where to go in when renting a 4x4 in Southern Africa
The top destinations in Botswana are the Okavango Delta, Chobe National Park and Gaborone.
Choosing the right 4x4 to rent for your trip
- The more you know about the terrain you’ll be traversing the more we can tailor your 4wd hire to your needs.
- Conduct some independent research into the advantages and disadvantages of the different 4x4 vehicles.
- 4x4 hire Southern Africa provides you with all-round off-road 4wd, while 4x2 with diff-lock only really assists you when weight or traction is removed from one of the wheels.
- Do some research into what diff-lock and traction control entail and how they assist off-road driving.
- 4x4 without low range is not in the same league as 4x4 with low range. Low range provides considerably more versatility for your 4x4 hire car.
- Make sure you have a decent clearance height on your 4x4 rental.
- Beware of low profile tyres when choosing a 4x4 hire, these are difficult to replace in remote areas and prone to damage by rocks.
- Knowing your capabilities behind the wheel as well as under the bonnet is an important part of selecting your vehicle.
- Petrol and diesel 4x4 hire have their pros and cons, and performance differs across manufacturers as well as across 4x4 models. Knowing your itinerary and potential terrain will assist you when deciding what type of engine you select.
- 4x4 club and 4x4 forum websites can provide important and insightful advice for 4x4 trails, wildlife tours, off-road equipment.
Camping equipment for your 4x4 rental
The following items can be included as part of your rental but is also dependant on the vehicle that you decide on. The recommendation is always to speak to one of our expert rental consultants and they will guide you on what you may need.
- Aluminium Roof rack
- Jerrycan holder
- Gas cylinder holder
- Eezi Awn rooftop tent/s
- Ground tents if specified
- Eezi Awning (optional, at additional cost)
- 60L Water-tank (full)
- 2 Ratchet tie downs
- Fold up table
- Camp chairs
- Battery powered lamp
- Gas cylinder (full) and cooker top
- First aid kit
- Camp shower and collapsible basin
- Bedding – sleeping bag and pillows
- Mobile toilet (on request)
- 40L Fridge/Freezer
- Fold up shower or toilet enclosure (on request)
- Portable wash-up basin
- Full kitchen – See Gomo Kitchen below
This is me testing 4x4 vs 4×4
4x4 safari equipment
As with the camping equipment, there is a range of equipment that you can add that will make your safari experience a more pleasurable one, but please speak to one of our 4x4 rental consultants and book this in advance.
- Long-range fuel tank (150 litre) (full on handover)
- Rear diff-lock/centre diff lock
- Dual battery system
- Tow strap
- Jumper cables
- Rubber sand ladders
- Puncture repair kit
- Basic tool kit
- Highlift jack/ Air jack
- Additional spare tyre (2nd spare)
- Steel canopy where necessary, side and rear opening*
- Winch (on request only, additional cost)
- GPS (on request only, additional cost)
- Air compressor and tyre pressure gauge
- Two-way radios (Optional – additional cost)
- Satellite phone (Optional – additional cost)
This is me testing 4x4 vs 4×4