Africa is a vast, untamed wilderness packed with wildlife and endless room to explore. Hiring a 4×4 in Southern Africa offers the intrepid explorer the opportunity to follow their heart and discover the rugged continent and all the adventures it has to offer.
Drive South Africa caters to local and foreign adventure travel enthusiasts. We offer specialized off-road vehicle hire, 4×4 off-road equipment, and advice for self-drive wildlife safaris.
Where to go in when renting a 4×4 in Southern Africa
Top destinations in South Africa include Johannesburg, Cape Town, and Durban. Each region has a host of off-road trails to explore.
Adventure travelers will find plenty to do in Namibia. Popular destinations include Windhoek, Swakopmund, and Etosha National Park.
The top 4×4 destinations in Botswana are the Okavango Delta, Chobe National Park, and Gaborone.
Choosing the right 4×4 to rent for your adventure
- The more you know about the terrain you’ll be traversing the more we can tailor your 4WD hire to your needs.
- Do some independent research into the advantages and disadvantages of the different 4×4 vehicles.
- 4×4 hire Southern Africa provides you with all-round off-road 4WD, while 4×2 with diff-lock only really assists you when weight or traction is removed from one of the wheels.
- Do some research into what diff-lock and traction control entail and how they assist off-road driving.
- 4×4 without low range is not in the same league as 4×4 with low range. Low range provides considerably more versatility for your 4×4 hire car.
- Make sure you have a decent clearance height on your 4×4 rental.
- Beware of low profile tyres when choosing a 4×4 hire – these are difficult to replace in remote areas and prone to damage by rocks.
- Knowing your capabilities behind the wheel as well as under the bonnet is an important part of selecting your 4×4 vehicle.
- Petrol and diesel 4×4 hire have their pros and cons, and performance differs across manufacturers as well as across 4×4 models. Knowing your itinerary and potential terrain will assist you when deciding what type of engine you select.
- 4×4 club and 4×4 forum websites can provide important and insightful advice for 4×4 trails, wildlife tours, and off-road equipment.
Camping equipment for your 4×4 rental
The following items can be included as part of your rental but are also dependant on the vehicle that you decide on. We suggest you speak to one of our expert rental consultants and they’ll guide you on what you may need.
- Aluminum Roof rack
- Jerry can holder
- Gas cylinder holder
- Eezi Awn rooftop tent/s
- Ground tents if specified
- Eezi Awning (optional, at additional cost)
- 60L water tank (full)
- 2 ratchet tie downs
- Fold-up table
- Camp chairs
- Battery-powered lamp
- Gas cylinder (full) and cooker top
- First-aid kit
- Camp shower and collapsible basin
- Bedding – sleeping bag and pillows
- Mobile toilet (on request)
- 40L fridge/freezer
- Fold-up shower or toilet enclosure (on request)
- Portable wash-up basin
- Full kitchen – See Gomo Kitchen below
4×4 safari equipment
As with the camping equipment, there is a range of equipment that you can add to your rental that will make your safari experience a more pleasurable one. Please speak to one of our 4×4 rental consultants to book these in advance.
- Long-range fuel tank (150 litre) (full on handover)
- Rear diff-lock/centre diff lock
- Dual battery system
- Tow strap
- Jumper cables
- Rubber sand ladders
- Puncture repair kit
- Basic tool kit
- Highlift jack/ Air jack
- Additional spare tire (2nd spare)
- Steel canopy where necessary, side and rear opening*
- Winch (on request only, additional cost)
- GPS (on request only, additional cost)
- Air compressor and tire pressure gauge
- Two-way radios (Optional – additional cost)
- Satellite phone (Optional – additional cost)